TF11.3.4 Project Grassroots
Grassroots project (the project) will work with a select group of 25 graziers across the Fitzroy and Mackay Whitsunday NRM Regions, to identify and implement practices that help improve their profitability and land condition. The project will target graziers in sediment hotspots to help identify, test, validate and demonstrate innovative and cost-effective practices. Participating graziers must be willing to share their results with other graziers. A key premise of the project is that improved property management skills can deliver both economic and environmental returns. The project tools and delivery will focus on building the ‘business case’ for graziers’ participation, given that financial considerations feature prominently in farm decision-making.
The project objectives are to:
1. Strengthen the linkages between grazing best practice and reef water quality outcomes
2. Build the ‘business case’ for change, and provide graziers with the skills and tools to be able to identify and respond to factors impacting on their business
3. Deliver change on farms that currently represent a proportionally larger sediment load to waterways though development and implementation of plans for improved farm management systems, increased knowledge and tools to measure and monitor condition of grazing land to maintain ground cover above critical thresholds by managing stocking rates to carrying capacity using industry best practice decision support tools and implement grazing regimes in order to avoid or remedy areas prone to erosion such as gullies and unstable stream banks.
4. Contribute to other related initiatives seeking to improve grazing land management and deliver reef water quality outcomes, including the Grazing BMP
5. Foster the exchange of data and results with other initiatives, including making project data freely available to the industry
6. Deliver positive return on investment, by identifying graziers/properties in sub-catchments identified as major contributors of sediment, and by demonstrating cost effective solutions to improve land condition.
No citation information available.
Looking up... the number of records that can be accessed through the Atlas of Living Australia.Click to view records for the TF11.3.4 Project Grassroots resource.
Metadata last updated on 2019-02-15 11:32:32.0