Queensland Primary Industries Insect Collection
The collections contain specimens of insects and related arthropods pests and beneficials, as well as those of non agricultural significance.
This collection is the largest in the Southern Hemisphere of agricultural insect pests and benefical species.
Most specimens are from Queensland, but with additional national and international material.
The former Alan Fletcher Research Station has been incorporated into the Collection. It contains around 100 imported insects used as biocontrol agents for weed control. The rest of the 2000 species collection contains insects that are associated with the weeds in their native range (North and South America, Asia, Africa etc), or faunal studies of insects now associated with the weed growing in Australia.
The collection was established in 1894 and continues to the present.
Kingdoms covered include: Animalia.
Australian states covered include: mainly Queensland, however all other states and territories are represented. Specimens from other countries, mainly SE Asia and also lodged into the collection.
Australian states covered include: Queensland.
Number of specimens in the collection
The estimated number of specimens in the Queensland Primary Industries Insect Collection is 1,500,000.
Of these 180,000 are databased. This represents 12.0 % of the collection.
Click the Records & Statistics tab to access those database records that are available through the atlas.
The Queensland Primary Industries Insect Collection contains these significant collections:
- The former Alan Fletcher Research Station - A collection of 2000 species of insects associated with Australia's major exotic tropical and subtropical weeds in their native (North America, South America, Asia, Africa) and Australian ranges and includes introduced biocontrol agents.
- Queensland Forest Insect Collection - A collection of Australian forest and timber insects.
- Fruit fly Collection - An internationally significant collection of fruit fly species mainly from Australia and Asia.
- Cairns Insect Collection - A collection of North Queensland agricultural pests, with a strong focus on fruit flies.
- Maroochy Research Station - A collection of the Maroochy region agricultural pests.
Metadata last updated on 2015-07-17 12:28:45.0
Digitised records available through the Atlas
The Queensland Primary Industries Insect Collection has an estimated 1,500,000 specimens.
The collection has databased 12.0 % of these (180,000 records).
No database records for this collection can be accessed through the Atlas of Living Australia.