The development of a Regional Herbarium at Charles Sturt University's award winning Environmental Campus in Thurgoona was proposed in 1996. An Australian Research Council Grant was secured to purchase necessary infrastructure for the establishment of herbarium infrastructure and a virtual (on-line) herbarium. CSU provided a purpose-built herbarium building. The facilities were opened in 1999.
The Herbarium aims to advance the understanding and sound management of the flora of the Upper Murray and Murrumbidgee region by providing a reference collection and on-line data for researchers, land managers, students and community groups.
Statistics taken (September 2010) from:
http://www.chah.gov.au/chah/resources/herbaria/csu.html (CHAH Last updated: September 2006)
The collection was established in 1999 and continues to the present.
Mainly higher plants.
Kingdoms covered include: Plantae.
Primary emphasis is on collecting a reference collection for the Upper Murray and Murrumbidgee region. The collection also contains specimens from the Sutherland Collection (originally housed at CSU's Wagga Campus) which are mostly from NSW.
Australian states covered include: New South Wales.
Number of specimens in the collection
The estimated number of specimens in the Charles Sturt University Herbarium is 4,264.
Of these 4,100 are databased. This represents 96.2 % of the collection.
Click the Records & Statistics tab to access those database records that are available through the atlas.
The Charles Sturt University Herbarium contains these significant collections:
- Sutherland Collection - Originally at CSU's Wagga Campus. Specimens mostly from NSW dating back from late 1800's.
Metadata last updated on 2010-10-05 11:23:45.0
Digitised records available through the Atlas
The Charles Sturt University Herbarium has an estimated 4,264 specimens.
The collection has databased 96.2 % of these (4,100 records).
No database records for this collection can be accessed through the Atlas of Living Australia.